Librarian - Paige Holman
In Person:1151 Parker Mountain Rd., Strafford
Mail: Po Box 130, Strafford, NH 03884
History Of the Hill Library
In the 1800's the town of Strafford appropriated money to buy general reading books as well as text books. These were placed in the various schoolhouses. During a town meeting of 1893, the citizens voted to start a library, and $25.00 was appropriated. Another $100.00 was provided by the State. One hundred thirty books were purchased that year. The library collection moved into various homes; then to Austin-Cate Academy and then to the town hall.
In 1965, a room was remodeled in Austin Hall and furnished for a library. A library study committee, formed in 1970 to study the feasibility of constructing and maintaining a town library and was later named the Strafford Library Association (SLA) . With donations of land and money from Bernice, Kenneth and Gordon Hill as well as numerous other benefactors, ground was broken and construction of the library began and was finished in 1971. Two more rooms were added on to the library; one in 1988 and the most recent in 2000. In 1994 a computer and a circulation program were purchased. Workers started entering data into a circulation database for electronic circulation and inventory. In addition in the mid 1990's the library connected to the state-wide "Galaxy" New Hampshire Automated Information Services (NHAIS) system through which users can request inter-library book and media loans.
The town, via the trustees, provides the funding for salaries, utilities, and library materials.